Tuesday, September 24, 2013

My Favorite Banned Books

To continue my celebration of Banned Books Week, I have decided to discuss some of my favorite banned books.

1. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury



Oh the irony of this book being banned. This book focuses on a dystopian society where where books are burned and reading is considered sacrilegious. This book does a great job of exploring the reasons behind censorship and portraying its flaws. It is one of my favorite classics for this reason. The entire point of this book is to prove how awful censorship is, yet it is often banned from libraries and schools.

2. Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
This book is one of the most famous books for young readers. It focuses on two children, Jess and Leslie, and their friendship. Throughout the book, they have adventures in fictional lands. This was one of my favorite books when I was younger, and was one of the first books to ever make me cry.Unfortunately, this book is commonly banned because it has inappropriate language and is considered to be "not religious enough."

3. The Diary of Anne Frank by Anne Frank

This is a phenomenal story that truly captures the effects of the Holocaust. Anne Frank, the teenage author of this book, showcases her views about how The Holocaust is affecting her. In my opinion, this is one of the best pieces of literature to come out of this era because it shows the true effects of the Holocaust. It is not written by some historian fifty years later. The author is a teenage girl, writing in her diary and truly showing how she feels about the entire experience. This book is being banned because it contains some sexual references. While the book gets a bit explicit at times, it shows what life is like for a teenage girl. It should not be banned for doing so. 

I have only begun to scratch the surface when it comes to banned books. Let me know what some of your favorite banned books are!

No comments:

Post a Comment