Monday, April 22, 2013

The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

When Ruby woke up on her tenth birthday, something about her had changed. Something alarming enough to make her parents lock her in the garage and call the police. Something that gets her sent to Thurmond, a brutal government “rehabilitation camp.” She might have survived the mysterious disease that’s killed most of America’s children, but she and the others have emerged with something far worse: frightening abilities they cannot control. Now sixteen, Ruby is one of the dangerous ones.

When the truth comes out, Ruby barely escapes Thurmond with her life. Now she’s on the run, desperate to find the one safe haven left for kids like her—East River. She joins a group of kids who escaped their own camp. Liam, their brave leader, is falling hard for Ruby. But no matter how much she aches for him, Ruby can’t risk getting close. Not after what happened to her parents. (summary by Goodreads)


So many feels! This book was everything I like tied up in a neat little bow. Here are my thoughts:

This concept sounded eerily familiar, and if not done right, it would have seemed very boring and repetitive. The author brought so many twists and turns to the story to make it unique. It had a dystopian/post-apocalyptic feel to it that I absolutely loved.

This book had many unique characters. Even the minor ones had a lot of depth and were essential to the story. My favorite characters were definitely Chubs, Zu, and Liam. They were all so crucial to Ruby's development as well.

There were only a few things that I didn't love about this book. The first being that it took me awhile to get into it. I wasn't hooked until about halfway through, but it was a rollercoaster until the end. In addition, I found myself being very annoyed with Ruby at times.

The ending was emotional and had enough of a cliffhanger to keep my clamoring for book 2, which comes out in November. It's safe to say that I'm currently suffering from an intense case of the feels.

Overall, I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment