Saturday, March 30, 2013

The Host Movie Review



The Host was one of my top two most anticipated movies of 2013. I went into the movie very excited and interested to see how they would adapt this complex book. I'm sorry to say that I was very disappointed with this movie.

There are two major reasons that I did not really like the movie.

1. There was very little relationship and character development:
We find out very little of the character's  pasts.  The only thing you know is that Melanie is a captured human, Wanda is an alien, Jared is Mel's lover, and Jamie is her brother. Ian has almost no development. When Wanda first comes to the cave, Ian strangles her, looks at her, and then decides that he is in love with her. Their relationship was very forced. 

2. Many essential minor characters were left out or barely mentioned
Characters such as Walter, Lily,Wes, Sharon, and Jodi/Sunny weren't in the movie.  In the book, it is through Wanda's interactions with these characters that you learn so much more about her. Everyone learns that she is not just an alien, she is someone that cares so much about the humans. Because these characters were missing, Wanda's character was very underdeveloped.

I understand that in a book to movie adaptation, a lot must be cut out to not make it 5 hours long. This is especially true about The Host, considering the fact that the book was over 600 pages.  I felt there was too much needed character development left out. This made the movie feel rushed or awkward at times.

One of the good things about the movies was some of the casting choices. Max Irons was absolutely amazing as Jared. I really felt bad for him, and grew to love him, just like I did in the books. The actors that were picked to play Uncle Jeb and Jamie were also very good.

Overall, the movie was disappointing. I give the movie 5 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment