Friday, March 8, 2013

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

They say that the cure for Love will make me happy and safe forever
And I've always believed them.  Until now.  Now everything has changed.  Now, I'd rather be infected with love for the tiniest sliver of a second than live a hundred years smothered by a lie.

Lena looks forward to receiving the government-mandated cure that prevents the delirium of love and leads to a safe, predictable, and happy life, until ninety-five days before her eighteenth birthday and her treatment, when she falls in love. (summary by Goodreads)


This is definitely one of my all time favorite books. There are so many things that make it stand out to me, including:
1. THE WRITING
Lauren Oliver has such an amazing way with words. The descriptions seem to float off the page. It's as if I'm really there in Portland seeing the sunrise for the first time. Some quotes are so understated, yet so memorable.

2. THE CHARACTERS
All of the characters are well written and have some sort of backstory. My favorite character would have to be Lena. I felt like I could relate to her in a lot of ways (more than I care to admit). She is forced to question her beliefs and take down the walls she built around herself.

3. THE STORY
Dystopians are my favorite genre for a reason, and this is the creme de la creme of the genre. This isn't just the typical dystopian where a giggly heroine turns on her society. It isn't the typical girl-meets-boy love story either. It has actual depth and teaches a lot of important lessons.

4. THE QUOTES
The novel has so many significant quotes. I was underlining them as I read. Two of my favorites are: "that's when you really lose people, when the pain passes" and "I love you. Remember. They cannot take it."

If you have any doubt in your mind, disregard it and read Delirium. It is an amazing, unforgettable book. I give it 10 out of 5 stars



No comments:

Post a Comment